Student Loans - Frequently Asked Questions


Why have I received a collection notice?

You currently owe a debt to the province. Your debt may be the result of:
  • a defaulted loan
  • a repayable grant
  • payments due under provincial legislation

What should I do when I receive a notice?

Please pay the amount due by the due date indicated on the notice. There are several ways in which you can pay. Please see How to Pay for details.

What should I do if I disagree with the debt?

If you disagree with the debt of do not understand it and would like more information, please call the number listed on the letter.

If I can't pay right away, can I have more time?

We do consider alternative payment arrangements that can allow more time to repay the debt. First, we will need to determine your ability to pay.

You may need to make a full financial disclosure and provide evidence of your income, expenses, assets and liabilities by completing a Financial Report Form. We may verify this information, and advise you if your proposal can be accepted. Consideration will be given for possible remission for qualified debts.

Please contact us directly to discuss a payment arrangement by phoning the number provided on your notice/bill or phone 1-866-345-3930.

Top of page.

What will happen if I don't pay my bill?

We may initiate the following actions:
  • place a notice of Crown Debt on your property
  • issue a demand on your wages, bank account or other accounts
  • set off funds owed to you by the provincial or federal government
  • issue a Small Claims Action (less than $25,000) or Supreme Court Action (over $25,000)
  • file a Payment Order or Default Order in Small Claims Court or Supreme Court
  • seize and sell your assets

I did not receive a notice. Do I have to pay interest?

If you have not received your notice, we may have your old address on file. Whether or not a notice is received, interest continues to be charged in accordance with the Financial Administration Act. If you pay your debt in full within thirty days of the date on the demand letter from Revenue Services of British Columbia, interest will not be charged.

When Canada Post returns mail as undeliverable, we do our best to locate your correct address and send another notice. If you have recently moved, please notify us with your new mailing address immediately.

I thought I received a grant that I did not have to pay back. Why am I being asked to pay?

Usually, students are not required to repay grants. However, if there is a change to your original application you may be required to repay part or all of any grant on demand under certain circumstances.

Please contact StudentAid BC at 1-800-561-1818  for more information.

What if I declare bankruptcy?

For information on bankruptcy and your student loans, please visit the StudentAid BC Website.

What if I want to go back to school and receive further funding?

You must apply for formal reinstatement through the StudentAid BC.

Please contact StudentAid BC at 1-800-561-1818  for more information.

Why are you taking my income tax refund or GST/HST credit?

If you owe a debt to the Province of British Columbia, we can offset monies owing to you from the Canada Revenue Agency.

How do I contact you?

Please call the phone number provided on the letters and notices you receive, or you can call 1-866-345-3930.